19.11.10

Marginal Notes

The lightness of your skin lifts
me without feathers into an atmospheric
coma, sifting flour through my fingers,
looking for gold in a placer on the southern
bank of an oxbow. Blankly I stare

into the infinite depth between your
freckles, the green in your eyes sprouting
from fertile soils, not hyberbolizing
into the grand and methodical void where
we used to swim on summer's nights,

letting the moon paint our bodies white
as we lifted off our shirts and let goosebumps
illustrate our arms and legs as our clothing fell
limply to the black beneath us. And we, shadows
in film negatives, dived into the cold and drowned

for an hour. I would look at you looking at me and up
into the stars we would fall, dancing like a paperback
in your hands at night in the half-light
my parent's living room. You would sit there, eyes
traversing the terrain with precaution, lips
mouthing the words written in pencilled margins.

Your legs would droop over the arm
of the chair, as if morning had missed the last train
and would arrive late. But morning, we both knew,
would never come again. So I stared

into the chasms and cravasses of your skin,
and let the wind lift me, with the lightness
of your skin and without a jacket
in the evening air, to the peak of Vesuvius,
where I would sit and watch the sun rise
for eternity, as around me orange tongues
would lick the air and warm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment