26.6.11

Again in Spring I Cry

Brick lifted upon brick, forcing together the clay
to force the enemy out. To keep him
out and gone forever.

He speaks the words, the last words,
and my eyes like candles shrink
and diminish under the flame in the pit
of his volcanic sky. And he, my darkness,
sinks and burns with blue sorrow
into the pit beneath my waxen eyes. His serpentine
hands slithering through my hair,
constricting around my throat chest waist. Metallic

against my petalled skin.

I lift clay to mouth, wetting and molding. Brick
drying against mortarless brick eternally. To the end
of the world this building. And the only alternative

is no alternative, an underworld of silver linings,
golden chains wrapped loosely (and growing
tighter) around my neck with promises
of a full gut and a place to lie.

I lie while bruised blossoms melt and mold

into persephonized daughters. Sleeping and wilting
forever reflowering next to the Lord
and Master of the wedding bed, the man
standing next to me, cold and endarkened.

Sunflowers bloom and I turn away from the morning, pulling
the sheets over my bare breasts and eyes, wanting
like another simultaneous death
to slip into the river, wet and cold and unchangeable.


No comments:

Post a Comment