1.8.11

I, Too, Waited for the World to End

He never looked at me
as he walked through
the arched doorway that evening
in the rain
nearly four and a half years ago.

He never looked at me
as he entered
our home all those years
through the drought
nearly four and a half years.

He never looked, but he came.
He came, not like the visitor
that he was. He didn't clean his
shoes on the mat outside the front
door. He came
as though he lived there,
and he never looked. Not at me.

Without looking at me he
climbed the stairs one at a time,
not hurrying. He walked
one step and another to the top, where
he would find her room and her,
waiting for the world to end.

The handle turned with a click
and the door screamed gently open
to her and her waiting. He closed
the door sighing softly. He always
closed the door to her room
when he came.

He came without looking at me,
never looking at me, as he
tracked mud up the stairs to her room
those nights in the rain. She waited
for the world to end. He came.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1.8.11

    Dig this. Love the last two verses so much I may or may not have recieved some happy bumps on my arms (goosebumps, chills, what have yous). Is there more where this came from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I write you're welcome to read the rest of the site, and I'll post more as I write them.

    ReplyDelete