4.8.11

Waking Alone

A cold trumpet morning wakes
me from dizzying sleep, climbing
slowly up into the fir outside
my window. Frost cracks
the panes of glass separating me
and the world. Inside
my head I scratch lines and erase
the dust from blackboarded walls
in furious pensiveness. Yellowing
white dust attacks my fingertips
and the front of my pantlegs,
drying the life from inside out.
Drying the life I remember from days
past and almost-forgotten. I see her
face washing away in the rain,
a child's drawing on the steps up
to the front door. I stretch my hand
toward the window and touch the cold
glass, hoping to melt away the pain
that remembering exhales.

Still, she used to say, the wind
will never blow you away. A leaf
drifting from branch to earth, browning
along the margins. Centrally yellow,
fading. Into the soft morning
I blink and let go.

1 comment:

  1. Inspired (at least slightly) by Jeffrey Conley's photography.

    ReplyDelete